Q: I haven't taken CSE 142 or CSE 160 before. Should I be in CSE 154?

A: CSE 154 assumes basic programming experience in Java, C, Python, or a similar language. We expect you to be generally familiar with concepts such as:

If you aren't sure you have enough programming experience, look at past quarters' CSE 142 websites. Do you understand the material? If so, you should be okay in CSE 154. If you're still not sure, you can email further questions to the instructor or contact our helpful academic advisors at ugrad-advisor@cs.washington.edu.

Q: How do I add CSE 154 to my schedule? How do I change sections? Can you give me an add code?

A: Contact our course administrator, Pim Lustig, for all registration issues such as adding the course or changing sections. He will be happy to help you.

Q: I need help with my homework! What should I do?

A: There are lots of resources available to help you. For example:

Q: The WPL and other resources are not enough! I need more help, such as a personal tutor. Can I get this kind of help?

A: In general, no. CSE courses do not provide individual private tutoring; there are too many students and not enough resources. We also feel that you must demonstrate your own ability and not be walked through substantial parts of the course by a private tutor. We also do not permit you to be regularly tutored "on the side" by your CSE 154 TA, whether or not the TA is being paid to do so.

Q: I have a scheduling conflict and need to miss a lecture or section on a particular day. Is this okay? How can I find out what I missed?

A: Please review the Attendance Expectations of the Syllabus.

Q: I got a low score on homework and/or exams, and I'm worried about doing poorly in the course. How much impact will my past low score(s) have on my grade? What can I do?

A: You can compute for yourself the impact of your past scores on your grade. The grading weights are listed on the course syllabus.

If you want to raise your grade, the best way is to do well on future assignments and exams. We generally do not offer much extra credit nor any way to directly make up or replace low scores on past assignments or exams.

If you don't think you will be able to raise your grade enough, you may need to consider dropping the course or switching to a Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory (S/NS) option. See UW's Grading System web page for more information about grades, S/NS, and other options.

Q: When is the last date to drop the course? When is the last date to switch to Satisfactory/Not Satisfactory (S/NS)?

A: This information can be found at the UW Academic Calendar for this year.

Q: I have had a traumatic incident in my life this quarter (death in the family, accident, emotional hardship, etc.) that has made it impossible to do well in CSE 154. What should I do?

A: You may want to look into UW's hardship withdrawal procedure.