Justin Hsia 
(jhsia@cs.uw.edu)

Welcome to CSE 120! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 120! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. This also allows other students to answer your question so can receive a faster response. This is the best way of asking questions about class-related topics.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff (click our faces!)

Instructor

Staff Mini-Bio: Justin
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
Until 2016, I lived my entire life in various parts of the Bay Area (California). I spent 12 years at UC Berkeley getting all of my degrees (BS, MS, PhD). Now a CSE Lecturer at UW! 😃

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST EXPOSURE TO COMPUTER SCIENCE?
A TI-83 Plus graphing calculator in Jr. High. Students were passing around programs for games and math class. Some of them had visible source code, so I started experimenting in writing some of my own. At first, it was just additional math functions, but graphing calculators have functions for drawing on the graphing screen and eventually I was able to recreate a blackjack card game!

WHAT GETS YOU MOST EXCITED ABOUT COMPUTER SCIENCE?
I love that it is an enabling skill that can be applied to pretty much any facet of life. You better believe that there are potential drawbacks (learn about some of them in this class!), but CS has the potential to improve lives and quite literally transform ideas and dreams into reality! As a CS educator, I love being able to pass on both excitement and skills to my students that they can apply to projects and applications in the future that I couldn't even imagine myself! 😮

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
- ultimate frisbee, board games, hiking, camping, singing (a cappella)
- I am decently dexterous with my left hand.
- I can solve a few variants of the Rubik's Cube (I am NOT a speedcuber).

WHAT WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR TIME THIS QUARTER?
- Teaching CSE120 and CSE369
- UW in the High School for CSE120
- CSE General TA Training
- A CS Education conference at the end of February (SIGCSE)
CSE 438

Teaching Assistants

Ann Shan
Staff Mini-Bio: Ann Shan
I moved to Seattle when I was 9 and have lived here since. I never thought I'd get interested in computer science but after taking CSE 142 and really enjoying the coursework I just kept going, and now I'm a sophomore studying computer science.

I tried Girls Who Code for a bit in high school but always felt really out of place. Taking CSE 142/143 was more the turning point for me in my attitude towards computer science.

Computer science is a field that calls for big picture thinking as well as attention to detail, requires creativity as well as logic, and is developing extremely quickly, so that we're constantly finding more applications -- in short, there's always something interesting to learn and something to get better at no matter your skill set or interests.

I love reading (really into the author Haruki Murakami right now), and I've been learning some magic tricks as part of a club I'm in, so feel free to ask to see a trick!

TAing this class, my other courses, running SDA (a club for students who want to learn/practice magic, as in sleight of hand, not the card game), trying to get in shape (haha...).

annshan
AA
Eunia Lee
Staff Mini-Bio: Eunia Lee
I was born and raised in Washington! Specifically I grew up in Mukilteo and Sammamish and graduated from Eastlake High School. Currently I am a sophomore studying computer science.

Originally I took an Intro to CS class at my high school to fulfill a graduation requirement. To my surprise, I liked programming and decided that I wanted to do something like it in the future. (At that point I thought I was going to major in chemistry or maybe bioengineering). After taking CSE 142/143 at UW, I decided computer science was what I wanted to focus on in my undergraduate career!

I'm excited to see the new applications of computer science and where it goes from here! Throughout high school, I loved seeing the intersections of completely different subjects or skills. Whether it was ways that my English class connected to music or my stoichiometry skills could be used in baking, there were always connections. I see computer science as a piece that fits in every puzzle. It connects to law, medicine, music, art and so much more. I hope to teach computer science principles and help others build bridges from their passions to computer science!

Talents include watching lots of Netflix (Grey's Anatomy or This is Us), making cupcakes and tiramisu, taking good food pictures.

When I'm not in the CS labs doing homework, I'll probably be planning events for the Allen School with ACM (an RSO I'm a part of) or doing computer science outreach to students K-12 in Washington State! Beside that I'll be TA-ing this class and practicing my Chinese (for Chinese 102!).

eunia
AA
Pei Lee Yap
Staff Mini-Bio: Pei Lee Yap
I was born in Malaysia but I moved to Canada when I was four then to Seattle when I was thirteen. I am currently a junior majoring in Computer Science at UW!

My older sister first introduced me to the concept of computer science and the idea of being a software engineer since she is currently working as a software engineer in San Francisco. I then took my first Python programming class my senior year of high school and fell in love with programming!

I love how the only thing you need to get your ideas to reality in computer science is just a laptop/computer. Computer science to me is not just about programming but also about the ability to create with minimal matriels. There are so many things you can create using computer science from flying unicorns on a website, self-driving cars, to life saving medical devices that it makes computer science interesting for everyone!

I love to sketch and paint in my freetime. When I am not out exploring new restuarants you can probably find me binging Netflix shows (does finishing eight seasons of The Walking Dead in 3-4 weeks during fall quarter count as a talent?🤔).

TAing this class, and keeping up with all my courses (Database Systems, Introduction to Human Centered Interaction, and Space and Space Travel).

plyap
AA
Staff Mini-Bio: Sam Wolfson

I grew up right here in Seattle! I've always loved taking things apart, trying to fix them when they inevitably break, and figuring out how they work in the process. This path of problem-solving eventually led me to computers, and that led me to UW.

I started taking apart and trying to fix computers when I was in elementary school. Then, in middle school, I ran a Minecraft server, from which I learned about Linux, networking, and a bit of programming. And from then on, I was hooked...

I love that computer science is so universally useful. No matter what your field, you can use computers to make some process faster, easier, or more effective. Computers are really just dumb calculators, but we've managed to turn them into these amazingly useful devices with a lot of creative programming.

I'm really good at HTML.

TAing this class, keeping up with my other courses, trying to find time for skiing ❄️⛷ and guitar 🎸, and doing course development!

wolfson
Head TA
Travis McGaha
Staff Mini-Bio: Travis McGaha
- I grew up in Houston Texas till I was 9, then I moved to Tampa Florida till I came to UW for college. I am currently a junior in Computer Engineering, but before college I was originally set on being an Electrical Engineering or Physics major.

- My father is a software engineer, so I grew up using and building computers. I started programming when I took an AP CS class in high school but was initially turned away. Only after coming to UW and taking CSE 142 did I get hooked on CS.

- Computer Science is a very large field that can be applied in any other field. Regardless of the field you are in or the idea that you have, there is a strong chance that using a computer will be extremely helpful in fulfilling your goals. When developing programs, it can feel like solving puzzles which are challenging but still fun! It also amazes me that we were able to take a bunch or rocks, put lightning in them, and trick the rocks into computing things for us (extremely simplified view, but it sounds cooler this way).

- I am a big music fan who will listen to almost anything, with Pink Floyd being my favourite <3. I also enjoy playing guitar, reading (just finished Solaris, now reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle), and video games (The Talos Principle & OSRS are favourites).

- My main focus will be TAing this class and helping students! Outside of this class, I will spend a lot of time keeping up with my courses (Operating Systems and Robotics), and fixing my sleeping schedule (hopefully).

tqmcgaha
AB

Schedule

• Intro
  • Processing
  • Functions
  • Conditionals
  • Loops
  • Arrays
  • User Input
  • Apps
  • Big Ideas (1)
  • Big Ideas (2)
  • Big Ideas (3)

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
Introductions and Lightbot
Personal Values
Images
The Artificial Intelligence Revolution ('The Road to Superintelligence,' stopping at 'An Intelligence Explosion')
Artificial Intelligence (Wolfson)
Computer Science and Ethics (Michalove)
Human-Computer Interaction (Bricker)
Timing and Algorithmic Complexity (Wolfson)
Cool Processing Features
Project Work
Project Check
Security (Cobb)
Limits of Computing (Wolfson)
Project Work
Project Work

CC license - BY, NC, SA This course content is offered under a CC Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license. Content in this course can be considered under this license unless otherwise noted.

Privacy policy and terms of use