Justin Hsia 
(jhsia@cs.uw.edu)

Welcome to CSE 120! We have put the most important links at the top, categorized by what they're for. Please check them out!

Events

Asking Questions, Getting Assistance, Giving Feedback

It is very important to us that you succeed in CSE 120! Outside of lectures and sections, there are different ways to ask questions or discuss course issues:
  1. Visit office hours (see Events above)! In addition, if you need extra time or need to discuss something in private, feel free to email and make an appointment.
  2. Make a public post about course content on the , where they benefit the whole class. This also allows other students to answer your question so can receive a faster response. This is the best way of asking questions about class-related topics.
  3. Make a private post to just the course staff on the with any questions or issues you would prefer to discuss privately. While you can email staff members individually when that makes sense, contacting the whole staff is generally preferred to get a faster response and to let the whole staff see what issues students are having.
  4. Send to the course staff. The instructor will try to address the issue and share it with others only as appropriate, but will not have a way to reply to you without addressing the whole class.

Course Staff (click our faces!)

Instructor

Staff Mini-Bio: Justin
WHERE DID YOU GROW UP? WHAT WAS YOUR ACADEMIC PATH?
Until 2016, I lived my entire life in various parts of the Bay Area (California). I spent 12 years at UC Berkeley getting all of my degrees (BS, MS, PhD). Now a CSE Lecturer at UW! =)

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST EXPOSURE TO COMPUTER SCIENCE?
Back in jr. high (7th grade?), I was lucky enough to have a TI-83 Plus graphing calculator. They came with these transfer cables and students were passing around some programs that were either games or for math class. Some of them had visible source code, so I started experimenting in writing some of my own. At first, it was just additional math functions, but graphing calculators have built-in functions for drawing on the graphing screen. Eventually, I was able to recreate a graphical blackjack card game! My version was way slower than the original program I had gotten from elsewhere, but I was still super proud of myself, had learned a lot, and had fun with it!

WHAT GETS YOU MOST EXCITED ABOUT COMPUTER SCIENCE?
I love that it is an enabling skill that can be applied to pretty much any facet of life. You better believe there are drawbacks (learn about some of them in this class!), but CS still has the potential to improve lives and quite literally transform ideas and dreams into reality! As a CS educator, I love being able to pass on both excitement and skills to my students that they can apply to projects and applications in the future that I couldn't even imagine myself!

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR HOBBIES, TALENTS, AND SKILLS?
- ultimate frisbee, board games, hiking, camping, singing (a cappella)
- I am decently dexterous with my left hand.
- I can solve a few variants of the Rubik's Cube (I am NOT a speedcuber).

WHAT WILL BE CONSUMING YOUR TIME THIS QUARTER?
- Teaching CSE120 and CSE369
- UW in the High School for CSE120
- Course development for CSE333
- Travel for weddings and conferences
CSE 438

Teaching Assistants

Staff Mini-Bio: Anupam Gupta
- I grew up in India. Well I want to say East India but I've lived everywhere I think. I moved to the US to complete my Bachelor's Degree at the University of Washington where I'm a senior now! Wow it's been a long journey!

- The earliest I can trace CS to is probably watching my brother code for his high school projects. As a CS major, he would spend hours at the computer writing code and I would sneak up behind up and see what he was writing. Following this, I took CS classes in high school where I learnt the basic concepts of Computer Science and Programming before taking programming courses in University :)

- How diverse it is! Computer Science is not just programming and learning to code. I won’t say it’s not important in Computer Science, it is but there is just so so so much more linked it. The more I learn topics, the more I ask myself “How did someone even think of that?”. It’s amazing how so many people have put in thousands of hours to just figure out the immense possibilities of a computer. What gets me excited me about Computer Science is that there is just so much I don’t know but that affects me so directly every single day and there is probably hours of code writing that went into making so many things possible. For example, I find it extremely fascinating to know that every minute, 10 hours of videos are uploaded to Youtube on average and yet Youtube manages to sift through these videos, efficiently figuring out explicit content and making sure each and every video is available to the world. Like how could you even store so much data per minute? In addition, I love the fact that all of this is based on just two values -> 1 and 0. There’s so much happening around us just based on these two values and the infinite future prospects of these just blows my mind! : = P

- Oh so so so much sleep! And more sleep! Also spending so so much time with friends and half my life playing FIFA and crying over how much I lose at Monopoly. Skills? Umm. I guess I can pull a lot of all nighters when needed :/. Sounds more like a tragedy tbh haha.

- I'm basically taking 4 classes this quarter so that will take up most of my time - CSE 446(Machine Learning), CSE 444 (Database Systems) and some others. I'm also trying to travel more this quarter all around so maybe that will take some time as well.

anupamg
AA
Cheng Ni
Staff Mini-Bio: Cheng Ni
- I was born and raised in Beijing, a historical city in northern China.(fyi I once pat a panda, IT WAS FLUFFY) I'm a second year student double majoring in computer science and physics.

- I don't have any coding experience before college, because of which I was reckless enough to take cse 143x in my first quarter at UW. It didn't bomb my gpa too bad and I found out I really liked computer science.

- Hmm it's hard to narrow down to one reason. I think it's neat that all things in the computer world(maybe also real world?) are just numbers. I love the creativity involved in programming as it's very hands-on: I feel like I'm constantly building something new. To a certain extent, coding is like writing or drawing that requires lots of personal thoughts even though some of the most character-building moments I've ever experienced involve computer and debugging...

- run many miles and listen to a lot of classic rock

- cross out IMDb top100 movie list, only 23 more to go:D

chengni
AA
Eugene Oh
Staff Mini-Bio: Eugene Oh
I was born in San Diego California and moved up to Federal Way, Washington when I was 6 and have been here ever since!
I'm currently studying a double major in computer science and social work and will graduate in 2019! (hopefully!)

Prior to college, I never had any exposure to computer science. I came into UW wanting to major in Aerospace Engineering but I took CSE 142 to explore the potential of doing computer science as a major. It turned out that I loved the class and had tons of fun doing assignments which led me to be where I am today!

The potential to combine computer science with education excites me the most. I want to work on developing student technologies in the future for better student access to education. The amount of potential behind the applications of computer science in education is extremely promising and is the thing that gets me most excited about CSE!

Violin/Piano/Guitar
Eating
Basketball
Super Smash Bros.

Dream Project! (You should join)
ROOTS Homeless Shelter
People's Harm Reduction Alliance
Classes and TA'ing

eo28
AB
Staff Mini-Bio: Sam Wolfson

I grew up right here in Seattle! I've always loved taking things apart, trying to fix them when they inevitably break, and figuring out how they work in the process. This path of problem-solving eventually led me to computers, and that led me to UW.

I started taking apart and trying to fix computers when I was in elementary school. Then, in middle school, I ran a Minecraft server, from which I learned about Linux, networking, and a bit of programming. And from then on, I was hooked...

I love that computer science is so universally useful. No matter what your field, you can use computers to make some process faster, easier, or more effective. Computers are really just dumb calculators, but we've managed to turn them into these amazingly useful devices with a lot of creative programming.

I'm really good at HTML.

TAing this class, keeping up with my other courses, trying to find time for skiing ❄️⛷ and guitar 🎸, and doing course development!

wolfson
AA/AB
Sophie Tian
Staff Mini-Bio: Sophie Tian
- I grew up in Tongling and Nanjing in China. I attended Gallaudet University, a school for the Deaf and hard of hearing located in Washington, DC. After graduating from Gallaudet, I moved to Seattle and entered UW CSE for a post-baccalaureate degree in computer science.

- When I was a child, I was encouraged by my math teacher to participate in a programming contest. After learning several programming languages such as C,I knew this is what I wanted to do for my career.

- The magic of computer science is that not only is it fun but it has helped solve so many real world problems in communication, productivity, health, and so on, that we take for granted today. It's thrilling to know the kind of impact I could make.

- I love swimming, cooking, playing Rubik's cube, rock climbing and watching Star Trek. When I could hear, I liked to play the bamboo flute.

- I am taking CSE 332 and CSE 344, and TAing this quarter. Other than class and TA work, I will be spending time with the Deaf and Deaf-Blind community, and doing some outdoor activities. I have also become involved in a local deaf production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

shuxut
AB
Teagan Horkan
Staff Mini-Bio: Teagan
I grew up in Gig Harbor, a relatively small town across the Narrows Bridge from Tacoma. In sixth grade I decided I wanted to go to UW. Both of my older siblings graduated from UW and now I am following suit! I originally wanted to study Bioengineering but CSE143 and 154 changed my mind. Now I am a sophomore in the Computer Engineering major and I couldn't be happier!

In high school I was lucky enough to be in the first AP Computer Science class at my school during my senior year. My brother had taken CSE 142 and 143 here at UW and encouraged me take them after enjoying APCS so much.

Computers are everywhere in the world today which means Computer Scientists can apply their knowledge in just about any field they want to! In particular, I think the importance of CS in medicine, space exploration and climate science cannot be understated and the impact that CS has and will have on the world is enormous.

In my free time I play Ultimate Frisbee with the Ultimate club and recently joined the Advanced Robotics at UW club (ARUW). I enjoy watching movies and TV shows (GoT, Westworld, Stranger Things) and playing video games with friends. I also like hiking, camping and backpacking. I don't really have any special talents or skills but I am a decent competitive Rocket League player.

CSE 332, TA'ing this class, ARUW, Ultimate, and playing lots of PUBG!

tgnhrkn
AA

Schedule

• Intro
  • Processing
  • Functions
  • Conditionals
  • Loops
  • Arrays
  • User Input
  • Apps
  • Big Ideas (1)
  • Big Ideas (2)
  • Big Ideas (3)

#
Day
Topic
Labs
Homework
Introductions and Values
Machine Learning (Jamieson)
Project Work
Project Check
Lockhart's Lament (p. 1-7, tiny bit of 8)
Proofs and Computation (Blank)
Computers and Audio (Hemingway)
Project Work

CC license - BY, NC, SA This course content is offered under a CC Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license. Content in this course can be considered under this license unless otherwise noted.

Privacy policy and terms of use