CSEP 510, Homework 7, Due Thursday, February 26, 2004, 6 pm

Note taking

This assignment will have several components relating to note taking. I want to collect some data to use in class, which will require getting data back to me mid week. Part of the assignment is still under construction - but I would like you to complete Part A as soon as possible, and get the data back to me.

Part A

Note taking study.

I want you to take notes for a segment of a PMP lecture using WebViewer. When you take notes, you will write your notes on paper copies of the slides. Watch the lecture segment in real time, and take notes on slides, as if you were in class.

The lecture segement is CSEP 505, Lecture 4, Slide 19 through Slide 23. Start time 1:42:50, End time 1:58:06.

Take notes for the class as if you were a student who wanted to record the material for later study and review (without access to a class archive). This material may not be familiar to you - if it isn't, just do the best that you can with it.

There are three sets of slides available. If your home phone number has final two digits in the range 00 to 33, then use group A, if the final two digits are in the range 34 - 66, then use group B, and if the final two digits are in the range group 67-99, use group C. [I am hoping to use this to split you into three equal sized groups.]

Here are ppt and pdf versions of the slides

I would like to get copies of your notes back by Wednesday morning at the latest. Preferably earlier. There are several ways you can send the information back to me. In order of preference

Part B

We have developed a classification for ink strokes to identify their type. The basic classification is to divide ink strokes into the categories:

In addition, we refine attentional marks to whether they reference slide content or ink or are isolated. We also classify attention marks as to whether they refer to atomic or compound items. You will certainly have questions about the classification - just use your best judgement on the classification - that's part of the exercise.

Coding is classifying all of the strokes. The coding is done at the episode level, as well as at the stroke level. An episode is a group of strokes which combine to make a single item - for example drawing an arrow as an attentional mark is a single episode, even if it is two strokes.

Here are codings from a pair of slides that I did from the lecture - these slides are not particularly interesting in terms of inking. ASA and ASC refer to Attentional, Slide, Atomic and Attentional, Slide, Compound. ul stands for underline. Stroke count is given for multistroke epsisodes. The stroke count is approximate. I write mathematical text using a LaTeX notation - but the choice of notation is not important.

Slide 17
1:39:32  ASC ul
    :42  ASA ul
    :51  T   \arrow\beta (normal)    [10 strokes]
 :40:03  T   (\lambda x_2.x_2)       [11 strokes]

Slide 24
2:12:30  ASA ul
         ASA ul
         ASA ul
         ASA double ul
         ASA ul
         ASA ul
    :44  ASA ul
         ASA ul
         ASA ul
  13:10  ASC ul
  13:14  ASC ul
  13:43  ASA ul
         ASA ul
         ASA ul

Assignment

Code the strokes used in the lecture segment that you viewed. CSEP 505, Lecture 4, Slide 19 through Slide 23. Start time 1:42:50, End time 1:58:06. Note that there is additional writing on slide 23 during the break. You do not need to consider this. The stroke count on the slides is: Slide 19: 0, Slide 20: 7, Slide 21: 21, Slide 22: 26, Slide 23: approx 51 before the break, 89 all together.

After completing the coding, get together with another student in the class, and agree on a common coding of the strokes. This process of having two independent codings combined is very important for this style of work. You should be able to do this over the telephone if it is inconvenient to meet face to face. However, you should do this synchronously, working down your lists together, as opposed to just sending the lists back and forth by email.

If you have difficulty finding a partner, when you complete the coding, send me mail, and I will put you in contact with someone to work with.