Preparing your lecture and leading discussion

For one session during this quarter, you will have the responsibility of preparing a lecture and leading the class through a discussion of your assigned topic.  Each session will be 60 minutes long; you should plan on lecturing for at most 15-20 minutes, and guiding a group discussion for the remaining 35-40 minutes.  The goal of this is two-fold: to teach the class the course material for your session, and to teach you how to lead lectures/discussions effectively.

I have selected between three and four papers for each topic/session.  Your job is to familiarize yourself with all of these papers, and to select one (or at most two, if you can justify the need to me) to assign to everybody else in class. You don't have to limit your lecture and the discussion topics to the paper that you assign, but if you want to talk about ideas in non-assigned papers, you will need to introduce them during the lecture portion of your session.  Similarly, if there is a paper that you want people to read that isn't in the candidate set, you can assign it, if you convince me that it is appropriate.

Here's all of the things you need to do, specifically:

1. During the first week of class, I will be assigning topics and lecture dates to students.  Sign up for something that you are curious and excited about, since this will add energy to your lecture.
  2. Quickly familiarize yourself with the candidate papers for your topic, and decide which one (or at most two, if you can justify it to me) everybody else should read. 
  3. Prepare a lecture on the topic, produce lecture slides that we can link into the class web page, and prepare to lead a class discussion on the topic.

Tips on lecturing

Coming soon...

Tips on guiding discussion

Coming soon...