CSE 490s Lab 4: Making an extended scene with Pure Data (PD)

In this lab we'll explore more of the syntax of Pure Data and make a short sound scene.

Background material that may help: http://www.flossmanuals.net/pure-data/

Also: Programming Electronic Music in Pd by J. Kreidler

Here is an interesting article about Procedural Sound in games.

Synthesis Assignment 4

Due: Monday, Oct. 31, 9 pm Halloween

Go to Andy Farnell's book site on PD sound effects at MIT press:

Code examples for “Designing Sound” textbook. You may use these for raw materials, and/or starting points, if you wish.

Create a PD file that is titled with your last name and first initial followed by #4.pd.  For example, "HemingwayB#4.pd"

In this file, construct a pd patch that synthesizes the following sounds in sequence when started:

1. doorbell rings

2. footsteps to door

3. door opening- lock and hinges

4. rain sounds from outside, along with:

5. "trick or treat" sounds (be inventive; a "found" sampled sound is OK here.)

6. Door closes.

Document your patch, explaining what you did and why.If you use a samples sound file, be sure to name it with your name, so I know whose it is.

Email your custom PD patch file to bruceh@cs.washington.edu. KEEP A COPY!!

Assessment.  Each programming assignment will be assessed as either complete, incomplete or not received (C, I, or N).  

C:  To be complete, all components of the assignment need to be completed in the submitted work.  Omitting elements will lead to an incomplete.  
N: If the assignment is not received by the due date, hand it in late. I'm much more interested in seeing your work, than I am in enforcing deadlines. BUT, don't get behind.
I: If you receive an incomplete, you will have an additional week to redo the assignment and to turn in a revised version.  If the revised version fulfills all elements of the assignment, it will considered complete and receive a C.  Revised work files should have the letter ‘Rev’ appended to the original file name.