Single View Modelling

CSE490CV Project 3 artifact
by Sam Riesland and Devang Patel

Artifacts

The artistic artifact can be found on Devang's web site...
http://students.washington.edu/~devang/3D/devang.html

I made the artifact from the photograph (that I took myself) of a lighthouse on Vashon Island:

Lighthouse

Discussion

A couple of details about our approach. We created a reference plane object type "SVMReferencePlane" with the thought that it might be useful to have more than one reference plane on which to place points. In practice it turned out we didn't really use this feature. Also it took a while before we realized the power of the points in terms of specifying polygons extending above the reference plane, thus we made a "Wall" option in our GUI that was redundant after we found out about how useful the SVMPoints could be.

Tracking down where errors were coming from was next to impossible in this project. A small error could very easily propagate through the entire system. In an obscure part of my code, one of my calculations was wiping out the values of a variable I needed to use later. This bug took me three days to track down! And the sign differences could be maddening!

All in all our results turned out fairly well. See for yourself. Given more time I would like to have figured out how to make the images less pixelated. Also I would like to debug the portion of our GUI that allows for a user to input a point and a height above the reference plane and from that calculates the X and Y coordinates on the reference plane.