Louis Valentine
CSE 490cv - Winter 2002
-------------------------
Project 3: Single View Modeling

I decided to try a view of Safeco field for my 3d model. To go about this I first found the vanishing lines using the criss cross pattern on the field and vertical structures like the foul pole. I then created a polygon over all of the places that looked like they should have a seperate polygon, like the crowd areas, walls, field, skyline, etc. To give them 3D position, I estimated where elevated points on these polygons would be above on the ground plane and placed points there.

In retrospect, this optimistic approach combined with our rudimentary interface produced less then satisfactory results. Many of the points that I had to guess at turned out to be off somewhat, and sometimes adjacent polygons didn't line up. I spent almost 2 hours constructing the model though and I was too depressed to try to redo it from scratch after seeing the result. If I had more time I would use a different picture and enhance the interface to make it easy to edit the model. It is impossible with our interface to add new points or make changes after the 3D positions have been calculated which is really a pain to use.

The picture of Safeco Field (from http://www.olywa.net/dave/photo.htm):
Safeco skyline
In Progress:
Safeco skyline under construction

Some textures used (no retouching done):

A shot from the 3D model (something happened to texture on the right side):

VRML Version (stadium.wrl)