From katrin@cs.washington.edu Mon Nov 10 09:10:24 1997 Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 23:52:24 -0800 (PST) From: Katrin Petersen To: Martin Dickey Subject: project idea Hi, I'd like to propose an online UW marketplace database. It would be a place where people of the UW (anyone with a UW email account) could submit classified ads, ideally for free. This would be a great way for students to buy, sell, or trade textbooks, computers, furniture, etc. These are some possible features I think could be supported: - automatic ad time out (e.g. a one week limit. user could reactivate.) - shoppers query in various ways, like price range, keyword, category.. - an option to include a scanned photo of sale item - provide buyers and sellers with accounts so: - each user of the system is assigned an id - buyers could post 'wants' and system notifies user of any matches the next time they log in. - sellers are also notified if any buyers have already requested the item. - provide buyers/sellers with past pricing information on item being put up for sale. - for users interested in trading, the system could match desired trade items with other postings. - there could be online bidding for items a user desires to auction. I'm sure there are many other features that could be implemented. These are just a few that I've come up with. The system could be donated to the Daily or linked to the UW or CS home page. This project could be implemented in Access, but of course that's up for discussion. Thanks Katrin Petersen